When: Saturday, March 1st, 2pm – 6pm
Where: Chloe’s at Golden Road Brewery, 5410 W San Fernando Rd, Los Angeles, CA 90039
This Saturday, March 1st, we will have our meeting at Chloe’s at Golden Road Brewery. Thanks to everyone at Golden Road for hosting and for Jeremy Stacey for securing the location. If you have never been to Chloe’s, it is directly behind the bar at the Golden Road Brewery Pub. It is usually rented out for private events, but they waived the fees for us! I would encourage you to come hungry as we will be able to order food and drinks from the Pub. Here is a link to the menu, and as you can see, they offer a wide variety to cater to many dietary needs. Please limit the Homebrew you bring to 1 bottle, so we can partake in all the beers they have to offer. Please plan your transportation responsibly.
I unfortunately will not be in attendance for this meeting. I will be in Lake Tahoe celebrating a bachelor party for one of my good friends. I will be there in spirit! Our Vice President, Louie, will take care of the meeting announcements, and the entire board will be available for anything you might need. You are in good hands!
Things to bring to Saturday’s Meeting:
- Tasting Glass (YSB glasses are for sale)
- Appetite for some delicious grub from the Golden Road Pub
Stone AHA Rally and Bus Tour with Strand Brewers Club:
The Stone American Homebrewers Association Rally is coming up soon! It is at Stone Brewing World Bistro in Escondido, onSaturday March 15th, from 1pm to 4pm. The Rally is a great way to meet fellow home brewers, meet the Stone Brewing Team, and most importantly, taste and rate the homebrews for the annual Stone Rally Homebrew Competition. The 30 entries are available for tasting and rating, and the top four people’s choice, go on to the best of show. The 1st place winner will have their beer brewed by Stone and released nationally, as well as entered as their Pro Am entry for GABF in Denver. It is quite an honor. We have 3 members(Josh, Ward, and yours truly), who are entered in the competition. We were 2nd and 3rd last year and with your help, we can take the 1st prize!
Strand Brewers Club has graciously invited us to ride along with them on a chartered bus to the rally. It is always great to mingle with fellow home brewers, and have safe transportation to and from the event. There will be 2 pickup spots, Redondo and Marine Park & Ride lot on the Green Line (2406 Marine Av, Redondo Beach, 90278), and Willow Station Park & Ride lot on the Blue Line (2750 American Av, Long Beach 90806). The pickup times will most likely be 9:30am from Redondo Beach, and 10:00am from Long Beach. There is plenty of free parking at both spots. Cost will be $35 – $40, depending on how many people we can get! There will be other brewery stops after the rally that are yet to be determined.
Here is what you need to do if you plan on attending the rally!
- RSVP with the American Homebrewers Association. You have to be a member to attend. The event is free if you are a member of the AHA and they offer a discount if you join or renew at the Rally. I would recommend joining ahead of time or filling out the necessary paperwork provided in the link above.
- RSVP with Josh Jensen if you plan on joining us for the Bus Tour. Do this ASAP as we need to let Strand Brewers Club know who many people to account for. You can also RSVP with Josh at the meeting this Saturday and he will be available to answer any questions you have.
I hope to see a good turnout from the Yeastsiders at the rally to support and stuff the ballot boxes for our 3 entrants!
California Homebrew Festival: May 2nd – 4th
There has been some progress in bringing back the California Homebrew Festival. We are still waiting to hear for sure, but it is looking like we will have the event! Please visit the California Homebrew Association for further details. We are moving forward with our plans so now is the time to RSVP and ensure you have a spot!
- RSVP with Josh Jensen if you want to go to the Festival – We will start a list of people going and reserve spots for our camping site. We have room for 40 or so people. Camping fees and parking are not included in the cost of the Festival ticket. The spots are first come first serve so do not wait to reserve your spot!
- We are in the process of building a Serving Station to Debut at the Festival, and we need to fill it with your Homebrew. We will need kegs, kegs, and more kegs! Last year we had over 20 beers and I know we can match or exceed that total this year. Do you have a keg of some really tasty homebrew? Do you have a recipe that that will knock the socks off the other home brewers in the State? Now is the time to start brewing and planning because the event is less than 3 months away.
- Look for future communication about the event as it comes out.
We have a backup plan for that weekend if the Festival is cancelled. Our May Meeting would be the 3rd, or the 10th if the Festival goes on as planned. More details to come!
Competitions & Brewer of the Year Contest:
The Brewer of the Year contest is in full swing. 1 competition has already passed, 2 are waiting to be judged, and 6 are still open. Here are the Standings so far.
1st Place – Ward Walkup 5 points
2nd Place – Jeff Koehler 3 points
If we miss any points, please be sure to let us know and make sure to put Yeastside Brewers as your Homebrew Club. Here are the remaining competitions.
- CA State Fair due May
- SoCal Regional due July
- LA County Fair due July
- Pacific Brewers Cup due late August
- CA State Homebrew comp due October.
These dates are approximate based on previous years. A 1st place ribbon earns 3 points, 2nd place is points, and 3rd place is 1 point. Best of Show gets an additional 3 points, and runner up BOS is 2 more points, 2nd runner up is 1 point.
Thanks again to Gayle for making the membership and merchandise sales so much easier. Thank you all for paying your dues as well. Membership for the Year, which is required to attend meetings and participate in Club events and contests, is $24 for one and $36 for a couple. We will always accept cash, but we can now accept credit cards with our Square Reader! Here are some of the wonderful items you can buy!
YSB Logo T-Shirts and Glasses for Sale:
- Yeastside Brewers logo Tasting Glasses are for sale, $8 each, 3 for $20
- New Yeastside Brewers Logo T-Shirt, sizes M to XXXL, $25, more sizes coming soon!
- Yeastside Brewers T-Shirt, sizes M to XXXL, $20
- Neck Lanyard, $5
- Combo Tasting Glass and Neck Lanyard, $10
April’s meeting will be at Yeastside Member Will Labrie’s House.
Have a great meeting on Saturday. Happy Brewing to you all, and see you on Saturday!
Dave Ochoa – Yeastside Brewers President 2014