When: Saturday, September 7th, 5PM – 9PM
Where: Eagle Rock Home Brewing Supply, 4981 Eagle Rock Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90041
This Saturday, September 7th, we’ll hold our meeting at Eagle Rock Homebrewing Supply in Eagle Rock from 5PM to 9PM. We scheduled it later in the day this time to give us some relief from the hot weather we have had lately. Parking is available in the back through the alley and on the street. Please read all the signs and park legally. Please also plan your transportation responsibly!
IPAs (!) will be the beer style of the month! Finally! Please feel free to bring your own commercial samples, of which we know there are so many great ones. Please bring as many of your homebrew IPAs as you wish and any other style of homebrew you may have on hand to share and discuss. Please bring a copy of your recipe to assist in obtaining helpful feedback.
As far as food goes, let’s have a barbecue and potluck! Please send me a quick email to confirm what you wish to contribute. If you have questions or need help with preparation, just let me know. I.e., should I bring my two charcoal grills?
Things to bring to Saturday’s meeting:
- Tasting glass (YSB glasses are still for sale, see below)
- Folding Chair
- Potluck Contribution
Several upcoming events were announced in the recent weeks:
- Cider Pressing, October 20th, Oak Glen, CA. I received all your RSVPs. For those of you that signed up, please remember to read up on cidermaking, and please only bring plastic fermenters. I will have an update shortly.
- Hop Union and East Coast Yeast group buys. I received all your requests. For those of you that signed up, there will be an announcement shortly as we digest your requests and confirm space and availability.
- Golden Road Brewing is hosting the Homebrewer’s Night and Brewer’s Supper as part of LA’s Beer Week.
- LA Beer Week is September 19 through 29 with events all over town, daily. I expect to see Yeastsiders wherever I go for my daily pint, and that’s an order!
- If you know of other upcoming remarkable events coming up, please let us know!
Recent and Upcoming Competitions in and around September
Please, check the site regularly for deadlines. Remember that theAHA phased-out the COC program and instead instituted the Radegast Club of the Year program. Our participation is still TBD and open for discussion.
- LA County Fair Homebrew Competition, results were posted, and Yeastsiders took home numerous awards. 1st Place in American Amber went to the team at Angry Horse Brewing: Nathan Sewell, Louis Michel, and George Felix. 2nd Place in IPA went to Josh “IPA” Jensen. 3rd Place in Specialty went to the deadly duo Sarah Luker and Matthew Luker.
- Pacific Brewers Cup, registration closed already on August 31. They need judges and stewards. Contact them if interested (you’ll learn a lot and you’ll have guidance).
- OC Fest of Ales, entries are due September 10 and judging is on September 14. Winning brew will be recreated at Noble Ale Works in Anaheim, CA.
- The California State Homebrew Competition is still mostly TBD, but we do know it is scheduled to be judged on November 2.
- If you know of other competitions not mentioned here or on our competition schedule, please advise us!
YSB Logo T-Shirts, Glasses & Lanyards For Sale
- Yeastside Brewers logo glasses are for sale, $8 each, $20 for three.
- Yeastside Brewers logo t-shirts are for sale, too, $20 each. They are American Apparel, sizes M through XXXL, white shirt with Yeastside-red logo.
- Neck Lanyards for holding your tasting glass are for sale, too. $5 each. One size fits most. No logo.
- Combo Deal: one neck lanyard plus one logo glass, $10.
- A second round of t-shirts was designed and will be printed soon, with custom artwork on a dark colored shirt.
October’s Meeting will be held at Vice Pres. David and Sammy Ochoa’s House, on October 5th.
May the Brewing Gods Smile upon You, and we’ll see you on Saturday!
Jerl Leutz – Yeastside Brewers President 2013