When: Saturday October 5th, 2PM – 6PM
Where: Gayle & Louie’s House, aka AngryHorse Brewing Co., 3012 Via Breve, Montebello, CA 90640
Happy Harvest, fellow brewers:
We unexpectedly had to change our venue of the meeting this Saturday. Some of you may remember that we were supposed to hold the meeting at VP Dave Ochoa’s house in Eagle Rock. However, the Eagle Rock Music Festival is scheduled for this Saturday, too, which would have made for a traffic snarled, logistical nightmare with respect to parking and arrival. Gayle and Louie graciously offered to help us out with hosting again. December’s meeting will be held at Dave’s house.
So, without further ado, we’ll be holding our meeting this Saturday, October 5th, at Gayle and Louie Michel’s home in Montebello, from 2PM to 6PM. Street parking of plenty is available nearby. There is also a Gold Line station at Atlantic & Pomona, approximately 1.5 miles from their house, but using it will obviously require some logistics and planning. Whichever route you choose, please plan responsibly!
German Wheat and Rye Beers will be the beer style of the month. We’ll have some commercial samples on hand, and we welcome your homebrews of this style as well as any style of homebrew to share and discuss. Please bring a copy of your recipe to assist in obtaining helpful feedback. Your own commercial samples are welcomed as well.
Like last time, we’re going to have a potluck! Please, coordinate your contribution with Dave Ochoa, VP, so we can have a well-rounded spread.
Things to bring to Saturday’s meeting:
- Tasting glass (YSB glasses are still for sale, see below)
- Potluck Contributions, i.e., food (Please, coordinate with Dave Ochoa, VP, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Beer kegs, CO2 and connectors (there will be at least one jockey box)
- Cobra-taps, as an alternative to the jockey box, with a keg on ice
- ICE for your kegs and for our jockey boxes
2014 Officer Elections
Yeastside Brewers wants new officers for the 2014 calendar year. Dave Ochoa will be our president, but we still need a new VP, treasurer, administrative coordinator, and competition coordinator. One of our club’s core philosophies is to always bring in new members as officers so our club stays fresh and exciting. Check in with any of our officers to learn more about the positions should you have interest!
- Cider Pressing, October 20th, Oak Glen, CA. I received all your RSVPs. For those of you that signed up, please remember to read up on cidermaking, and please only bring plastic fermenters. I will send a final confirmation shortly.
- Hop Union and East Coast Yeast group buys. I received all your requests. For those of you that signed up, there will be an announcement shortly as we digest your requests and coordinate space and availability.
Competitions in and around October
Please, check the site regularly for deadlines. As we discussed last month, the AHA phased-out the COC program and instead instituted the Radegast Club of the Year program. Our participation is still TBD and open for discussion.
- Pacific Brewers Cup results were posted, and Yeastsiders took home numerous awards. Sarah Luker won 2nd in American Pale with her Citra Pale Ale!
Josh Jensen won 1st in India Pale Ale and 1st in Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beers with his “Cup of the Old Chai, Sir?”!
Jerl Leutz won 2nd in Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beers with his Fruitcake Solera Ale and 3rd in Specialty Beers with his Yoga Flame 3xIPA!
Congratulations to all!
- OC Fest of Ales results were posted, and Yeastside members took several awards once again. George Felix and Nathan Sewell won 1st in Cat. 13 Stout with their Russian Imperial Stout and 3rd in Cat. 16 Belgian and French Ale with their Saison! Sarah and Matthew Luker won 1st in Cat. 14 IPA with their American IPA!
- The entry date for the California State Homebrew Competition has finally been announced! Have your entries shipped to arrive by October 12th. The prizes for this competition are usually very cool, so I would definitely suggest entering! Be careful when entering – even though BJCP guidelines are used, the styles are collapsed into categories which is what you submit the beer under. The website is fairly clear with how to enter the beer, but do not be afraid to contact our competition coordinator Jeff Koehler if you have questions! Good luck!
- If you know of other competitions or results not mentioned here or on our competition schedule, please advise us!
YSB Logo T-Shirts, Glasses, and Lanyards
- Yeastside Brewers logo glasses are for sale, $8 each, $20 for three.
- The first generationYeastside Brewers logo t-shirts are for sale, too, $20 each. They are American Apparel, sizes M through XXXL, white shirt with Yeastside-red logo.
- The new, second generationYeastside Brewers t-shirts are now for sale, $25 each. They are Anvil cotton t-shirts, sizes M through XXXL, and Anvil women’s v-neck t-shirts. Both are black shirts with Yeastside-red logo on the front left chest and a five color, stylized design on the back (there’s a photo on our facebook). Big thanks go out to Kim Turner and Victor LaFontaine for all their hard work coordinating and designing the awesome new shirts!
- Neck Lanyards for holding your tasting glass are for sale, too. $5 each. One size fits most. No logo.
- Combo Deal: one neck lanyard plus one logo glass, $10.
November’s Meeting will be held at Verdugo Bar on November 2nd.
Thanks for reading! Happy Brewing, and we’ll see you on Saturday!
Jerl Leutz – Yeastside Brewers President 2013